Under the general supervision of the CFO & COO, the director of marketing and communications develops and manages ATSSA’s brand strategy; enterprise-wide marketing and communications plan; and social media presence. This position acts as the lead resource responsible for advancing ATSSA’s image and position within the marketplace and the general public by ensuring consistent and constant communication of a strong, respected brand.
- Develops and oversees execution of ATSSA’s marketing and communications strategy and creates high-quality, measurable, and implementable plans that address the needs of each revenue center and the association overall.
- Contributes to and leads the overall growth of the ATSSA brand message through marketing and public outreach by providing guidance in the implementation of the strategic plan - cradle to grave.
- Serves as a member of the leadership team; provides input and works in collaboration with leadership to contribute to the development and achievement of strategic and operational goals; serves as a culture leader throughout the association upholding the ATSSA brand and values.
- Serves as staff liaison for the ATSSA Safety and Public Awareness Committee; assists with the creation and execution of the annual strategic plan, WOW items, agendas and communications; oversees the task force activities.
- Represents ATSSA at Fly-in, Midyear, Expo and various trade shows.
- Leads creative marketing and communications team to ensure that all public outreach, marketing and promotional activities are relevant, engaging, integrated and in line with ATSSA Strategic Goals.
- Collaborates with staff to develop the best user experience through sound planning and scheduling.
- Oversees the prioritization of department projects based on the Marketing and communications Schedule and Calendar, ensures deadlines are met.
- Provides guidance for all ATSSA marketing and communications campaigns; measures success of campaigns. Enforces the ATSSA brand across marketing and communications projects, including website, social media and other digital communication.
- Maximizes the placement of ATSSA’s image and “sells” the association at meetings, trade shows (ITS, ASSE, NSC), other related events and oversees the development of the ATSSA Pavilion at Expo.
- Develops relevant thermostatic key performance indicators; presents information as necessary.
- Conducts regular research in the field of marketing to discover growth strategies and outlets that are relevant to ATSSA’s goals.
- Approves and oversees relevant vendor contracts.
- Supervises the associate director of communications and creative development and the associate director of marketing and creative development. oversees the development of relevant KPIs and ensures performance metrics are being met.
- Develops department budget; conducts accurate forecasting and presents to budget committee.
- Upholds the ATSSA brand and values while working with internal and external teams.
- Enables adequate leadership coverage.
Education and Experience- A bachelor’s degree in marketing and at least ten years of relevant experience. A combination of considerable experience (15+ years) and education may be accepted.
Skills and Knowledge– Proven ability in brand and marketing strategy development; ability to deliver return on investment through marketing and communications campaigns; highly collaborative work style; experience developing, implementing and measuring branding, marketing and communications strategies; the ability to sell an organization to the right audiences through the best platform; thorough knowledge of social media platforms; an understanding of web and mobile technologies; excellent writing and editing skills and knowledge of appropriate writing style for various platforms; a strong track record in managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently; strong project management skills and the ability to manage projects staffed across the association; at ease networking, relationship building and driving interest in an organization; ability to position branding, marketing and communications discussions at the strategic and tactical levels; professional maturity with flexibility and ability to manage by influence; comfortable working in a variety of software applications and able to learn new programs quickly.
Licenses – Valid motor vehicle operator’s license and the willingness/ability to use personal vehicle during the course of employment.
Organizational Relationships – Reports to and is supervised by the chief financial officer and chief operating officer; supervises the associate director of communications and creative development and associate director of marketing and creative development.
About American Traffic Safety Services Association
The American Traffic Safety Services Association, an international trade association, is located in Fredericksburg, Va. Since 1969, ATSSA has represented companies and individuals in the traffic control and roadway safety industry. Over 1,600 ATSSA members provide the majority of features, services and devices used to make our nation's roadways safer. These include pavement markings, road signs, work zone traffic control devices, guardrail, and other roadside safety features.